Friday, October 26, 2012

Things No One Tells You About Having a Miscarriage


My mom had many miscarriages on her journey to five kids, more than anyone should ever have to experience. I had known for a long time that she had this problem and we had spent a lot of time talking about it. In my mind I thought I had prepared myself for the possibility of having a miscarriage, but when it did happen to me I was completely heart broken. These are the things that happened to me that no book, website, or even my mom told me about.

·         The look on your husband’s face when you tell him will be the worst thing you've ever seen. I don't think I have ever seen my husband look so crushed and defeated. It breaks my heart just thinking about it now.

·         You will loathe seeing any pregnant woman. I tried not to be envious but it was impossible. Even worse is when you see a pregnant woman doing something she shouldn't be doing and you can't understand why you lost your baby.

·         Seeing infants and newborns will break your heart as well. My brother-in-law and his wife had a baby recently, before I knew I was pregnant. When I saw her the first time it took all of my will power not to break down crying. Now when I see a newborn or baby at work I literally have to walk away. I miscarried early on but the sight of what could have been gets me every time.

·         You will cry randomly and for any reason. This one only halfway qualifies for this post because I knew I would cry and I would be sad. On the other hand I did not expect to break down when I tried making a cake and it fell apart when I tried taking it out of the pan. And, no, I didn’t just have some tears I had a complete breakdown with the weird breathing and all.

·         If you have other pregnant friends on things like Facebook, try to avoid it. Going on there and seeing people who are pregnant just makes you dislike them and that’s not really fair.

There are so many things I could probably write here but I just don’t know how valid they are for anyone else. It takes a long time to heal and I am only in the baby stages of that process. If anyone else has something that they experienced please leave it in the comments for others to read. Knowing that you are not the only one experiencing something makes it a little bit easier!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow... you are so right! I am 28 and i have a 3 1/2 year old daughter and my husband and i just found out about 3 weeks ago that we were pregnant with #2.... until thursday 12/27/12.... i am still miscarrying and no one told me it would be this physically painful or emotionally draining! I just want it over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very sorry you are going through this. It is very hard and painful in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete